"Ultimately our aim should be to create a world free from the displaced, the homeless and the hopeless, a world of which each and every corner is a true sanctuary where the inhabitants will have the freedom and the capacity to live in peace. Every thought, every word, and every action that adds to the positive and the wholesome is a contribution to peace. Each and every one of us is capable of making such a contribution. Let us join hands to try to create a peaceful world where we can sleep in security and wake in happiness."
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech in Oslo, 21-years after being awarded this in 1991
"The ultimate source of happiness is within ourselves."
His Holiness the Dalai Lama on 4/18/2012 at the University of San Diego
#happiness. #detroit #tkriii (Taken with instagram)
"Well I guess I never really valued wealth in money and in fame and in ah, ah, those sorts of things. To me wealth is in happiness, and if you’re given a voice, what will you do with it? How can you change the world?"
Children playing in jute crops in Bangladesh.
look at those smiles; true happiness. such innocence and purity.
a though i’ve been having since 3:17am.
happiness is a state or mind, and thus one we must learn to cultivate ourselves.
only i can make myself happy.
only i can control my thoughts; and i need to control them in such a fashion that builds upon that which is the present, not the past, and not the future.
if you want to be happy, realize that it’s a state of mind that is a current, at the moment, living emotion, and thus, happiness exists merely in the present.
"I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. That is clear. Whether one believes in religion or not, whether one believes in this religion or that religion, we all are seeking something better in life. So, I think, the very motion of our life is towards happiness."
FIND YOUR CALCUTTA!
Shane Claiborne: "Mother Theresa always said, "Calcuttas are everywhere if only we have eyes to see. Find your Calcutta."
FIND WHAT IGNITES YOUR HEART, SOUL, MIND AND SPIRIT!
CHASE YOUR DREAM!
NEVER LET IT GO!
NEVER GIVE UP!
SMILE AND BE HAPPY!
WORK PEACEFULLY, AND WITH LOVE, IN WHATEVER YOU DO!
BETTER THE WORLD!
life’s too short to live any other way.
Find YOUR Calcutta.
thursday, may 20.
for starters, i wanted the title of this post to be different, not the typical “today” that i usually make it, because i have a good feeling about today.
first off, here’s my to-do list:
- drop off the Amnesty Int’l budget proposal for the fall 2010 semester at school.
- go to Vive La Casa and spend about 2 hours with the some awesome people, who happen to be refugees. they’re sad and depressed, and happy and optimistic, but each one of them has a story that would break your heart. they’re beautifully broken, if you know what i mean. i hope that each of them receive the asylum they’re seeking either within the US or Canada, and therefore not have to return to their native country where they risk detention, or at the very worst, death.
- go to Gap to give my manager my new availability, which will begin june 13.
- stop by my middle school and visit with my then counselor, who is such an incredible person to me, even to this day.
- come home and spend some time packing, seeing as i leave for a 12-day service trip to Jamaica on MONDAY and i’ve got nothing ready. eek!
- go to the last special olympics practice at parker field to prepare the athletes for the competition that’s to come on saturday.
- come home and pack some more.
but most importantly, i think today is going to be a good day.
sure i miss you oodles, but overall, happy tj is present and dominating.
i’m sick of being sad, [a bit] depressed and overly reminiscent about the past. i cherish the [little] time we had and the memories we made, but it’s time i accept reality. but know that i’m still here, and don’t forget about me, please…
well tumblrs, that’s all i’ve got for you at 9:07AM this morning.
hope your day is as beautiful as it is here in my hometown: warm and sunny.
dream. smile. appreciate. relax.
much peace and lots of love to all!
"Happiness" by The Fray
"Happiness is just outside my window I thought it crashed, blowing 80 miles an hour Happiness a little more like knocking On your door, and you just let it in Happiness feels a lot like sorrow Let it be, you can't make it come or go But you are gone- not for good but for now Gone for now feels a lot like gone for good Happiness is a firecracker sitting on my headboard Happiness was never mine to hold Careful child, light the fuse and get away ‘Cause happiness throws a shower of sparks Happiness damn near destroys you Breaks your faith to pieces on the floor So you tell yourself, that's enough for now Happiness has a violent roar Happiness is like the old man told me Look for it, but you'll never find it all Let it go, live your life and leave it Then one day, wake up and she'll be home Home, home, home"
happy 77th birthday yoko ono! hope your day is blessed and full of laughter. may this year, and the many to follow, be full of happiness. much peace and lots of love! i ii iii.